Goodwill Industries of San Joaquin Valley
iVend Retail, SAP and Softengine Team Up to Deliver a Real-time Inventory Solution for Goodwill
We implemented iVend Retail alongside SAP Business One to address a total lack of inventory information. As a result, we gained inventory visibility that allows us to educate customers on product quality, view sales every day at each store in real-time and track our best performing stores. Most importantly, we can open new stores with the right materials and staffing in record time.
David Miller, CEO & President, Goodwill Industries
Goodwill Industries of San Joaquin Valley, Inc. (GISJV) is a not-for-profit agency that provides job services designed to help people with employment barriers to become self-sufficient. GISJV was incorporated in the state of California in 1940, just in time to assist with scrap salvaging efforts for World War II. Many of Goodwill’s early participants were veterans in need of job training and placement services. GISJV operates throughout the San Joaquin Valley, with 17 retail stores, two bulk-sale facilities and a separate not-for-profit dedicated to providing jobs for people with severe disabilities. At an important time for growth, GISJV was facing an enormous challenge – how to effectively manage inventory in 19 sales locations and two distribution centers, plus track 8,500 donation boxes located throughout the valley. Fortunately, GISJV was able to connect with trusted iVend Retail Channel and SAP Gold Partner, Softengine that could help them design and implement the system as part of the Goodwill Suite(r) deployed by 15 regional Goodwill Industries chains in North America.
- Lack of integration between inventory spreadsheets, white boards, accounting program and point of sale system
- No visibility into inventory or ability to track product across facilities
- No real-time data; reliance on guesswork for on-hand inventory levels
- Best-selling items were often out-of-stock
- Poor-selling items were sitting on the shelves creating low inventory turnover
- Inability to track boxes at Attended Donation Center trailers, which are strategically placed for donation collections
- Access to one centralized, fully integrated system that can track inventory down to the individual donation item
- Strengthened bottom line with a single, integrated system that eliminates redundant data entry and errors, improving process efficiency and reducing costs and delays
- Reduced costs and faster time to value with an application that is quick to implement, straightforward to maintain, and flexible enough to accommodate the changing requirements of your business
- Reports to check the number of transactions, discount levels and net gain or loss per promotion and per location
- Tools to optimize marketing dollars with data that helps to create and test-market different promotional campaigns and assess their effectiveness